Home          Green Living          Crafts          Parenting

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Young Mom?

I was driving down the road recently, and passed a church with a sign outside inviting "young and teen moms" to join them for discussions. I must admit, I was shocked to see that the age grouping for this "young and teen moms" group was....16-24. Yes. I would never have guess that 24 is a young mother.

I am 24. I never considered that young for becoming a mother. In fact, I considered that pretty average. I am pretty shocked after getting into a conversation with several women, and finding out many of them feel that 24 is too young to have a baby. They feel that before you are 30, you do not truly know who you are. You have not lived your life. You will regret "settling down" so soon.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't a child supposed to add to your life, not subtract from it?? I feel I have lived my life. I have traveled. I have graduated from college (some of you may remember this post so I thought I would clarify that I do have a degree, just not the one I want). I have partied. I have had my heart broken. I have moved across the country. I think it is time to settle down and have my children now. If I feel the urge (which believe me I will feel the urge) to explore, it can be done with my daughter in tow. She should be able to explore as well.

To me, there are so many advantages to having a child "young". I have enough energy to deal with all of the things having a child entails. I will be young enough to enjoy my retirement when my birdies leave the nest. I can plan my life to include my children. And most importantly, my life is fulfilled. Why wait around for what you want when you are capable of achieving it right now?


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I am 25 will be 26 in August and got pregnant at 24. I like to classify myself in the young mom group but I was and am ready to have a family. I am a very mature 25 and thank God that he blessed with me a child right where I am in life. Josiah has made my life so worth wild and I am loving every minute of it. I am young but not too young for a great family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog. I totally agree with your post. I was only 20 when I had my son...who by the way will be 13 in 2 weeks {{tear}} but I don't regret it at! Just think we will still be young enough to enjoy life when they go off to college.

    Please drop by my blog to say hi...look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete