Home          Green Living          Crafts          Parenting

Monday, February 8, 2010

Waking up Before the Kids

I hear people talk about this concept over and over, and yet, after 15 months, I still can't grasp it.

Waking up before your toddler.  It's a novel concept.  Can you imagine? Checking your email in silence, drinking a cup (or 2) of coffee.  Maybe even a shower! I mean really,  can you imagine the endless possibilities?

Normally, my morning goes something like this:

6:30-7 a.m.: Willie walks in the door from night shift.  I roll over and go back to sleep.
7:30-8 a.m.: Addie wakes up, usually laughing and talking to her "friends". I enjoy the sound and doze in and out for the next 10-30 minutes depending on what time she woke up and how happy she is.  Some moms can't wait to see that first smile in the morning.  Me? I'm just content knowing she does smile in the morning.
8:15-8:30 a.m.: Milk for Addie, coffee for me.  Breakfast, which  is randomly rotated between cold cereal, oatmeal, whole-wheat blueberry pancakes with yogurt, omlets, or whole-grain french toast.
8:45-11 a.m.: Addie plays, I check my email, blog occasionally, and do any miscellaneous CUTEure work which ranges from creating, taking photos, editing photos, listing new items, buying supplies, going to the post office, etc, etc. 
Lately this part has been pretty stressful. You see, from the very beginning, I made sure Addie could play alone. Sure, I love playing with her and teaching her things, but I also need her to entertain herself with her toys sometimes.  This last month though, it's like her toys don't exist unless I'm playing with them!
11 a.m.: NAP TIME!! The time for me to focus, re-group, and actually get something done-despite all the time I allot to work in the morning, let's face it, that usually doesn't happen with a toddler!

In light of this schedule, and the fact that I'm not being nearly as productive as I'd like to be, I decided last night that today would be the day once again, that I attempt to wake up before Addie, get coffee started, and get a shower in.  Just getting those small things out of the way on my own will make my whole day go more smoothly,  I just know it!!

Unfortunately, while this concept sounds easy enough, it just hasn't happened.  Trust me, this isn't my first attempt.  It appears that Addie knows when I plan on waking up before her.  She must have an alarm clock in her crib that goes off 5 minutes before mine does, because man. Every single time I attempt to wake up before her by an hour, she wakes up 5 minutes before me and stays awake. 

I just don't get it.  You would not think waking up in the morning would be a complicated task until you have kids.  What's a mom to do?  After 15 months of lounging in my pajamas until noon when I finally get some alone time, I'm kind of ready to lead a real life again, with a schedule of my own, a daily shower in the morning, maybe even some mascara now and then.

So, tomorrow I will try again!  Perserverance is the key! One day-maybe 18 years from now, but one day-I will have a shower every morning and a quiet cup of coffee while I check my emails. 

Until then...I will wear my jammies until noon, hide my hair under a hat if I have to get out of the house, and drink cold coffee while trying to distract a toddler so I can get some work done. 

Is it nap time yet??



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I need to try this too! Our days sounds so similar. I try to get stuff done while she is playing but it really doesn't happen. I could accomplish so much more if I just could get my butt awake before 7am!

    ReplyDelete